Sunday, June 5, 2011

A recent New York Times article caused quite a stir.


Over the last couple of days there has been a lot of hype around a recent New York Times article about the thriving online magazine industry. The article featured Lonny, Rue, High Gloss and Matchbook Magazine. I started reading it and found it to be a little different than I expected. I expected the article to be positive piece. Instead it caused quite a reaction from some of the editors of these online magazines. Michelle Adams posted this response in person via video on the Lonny Blog. Not surprisingly she was disappointed by the overall angle. It turned out to be a "magazine against magazine situation" she said. Which I agree with. Obviously this created a bit of a stir. Paloma Contreras from High Gloss posted this article on her blog. Whilst Paloma didn't mention the comparison she did say that she was a little disappointed. "I have to say that I am disappointed that they did not mention my partner and co-founder, Lauren Rauter or our Art Production Manager, Dabney Lee after I asked them to, but am incredibly grateful that they chose to write about the project we have all poured our hearts and souls into". Matchbook magazine also responded to the article with a letter to its readers. Rue, however did not respond (that I know of), but the editor in Cheif Crystal Gentilello did post about the article on her blog. Instead she kept her post quite positive. And to top it all off, you should read this article posted by Grace Bonney of Design Sponge. All I can say is that so many people have put a lot of hard work into creating these magazines and people should appreciate them for what they are. They are FREE online magazines!!!! What more could you ask for. New online media like this has allowed us to share and enjoy great design. Never before has there been such a wealth of knowledge and inspiration that is so easily accessible. I applaud the people behind these magazines for giving something new a go.....and succeeding with it.


Image via The New York Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment, You have made my day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails